Develop an excellent career guidance process for your school
“We are excited at the fresh, future focused approach Andrew has taken. What he has developed is relevant, engaging and completely in line with modern career development approaches. This Better Work helps people understand their values, skills and passions, and find their unique place in a changing and challenging world.”
Ingrid van der Merwe, Head – Careers Advisory Service, University of Cape Town
Key Features of the This Better Work process for schools
1. An ongoing process from grade 9-12 that emphasises discovery grounded in real world experiences
2. Students develop a Career Portfolio through their high school years to guide them in their key career decisions
3. Students formulate a Plan X – an adaptable, working vision of their desired future
4. Students test and review their Plan X through the course of their school life
5. Students engage with 16 key global challenges that adds a new dimension to the career discernment process
6. Discovery workshop material adapted from successful Windmills STAR resources
7. Designed to help schools develop a high quality career guidance program guided by the eight Gatsby benchmarks of good career guidance
For more information, click here to download our overview.
“The whole experience, for myself and the students, was exceedingly valuable. I found many of the learners who initially had no clue about what they might do after school arrived at a place where they felt: ‘ok, I’ve now got a plan, instead of no plan at this stage’. ”
Lizelle Marques, Head Life Orientation teacher, Hatfield Christian College
6 workshops to help your students develop their career plan
The Discover workshops can be run in a classroom or small group workshops. During these sessions each student interacts with our discernment exercises and develops their Career Passport.
Students can then elect to sign up for a coaching session during which they can explore further what they have discovered. This is done in light of the next significant decision they need to make, for example, Grade 10 subject choices, University applications or other post-school options such as a gap year.
A Free Trial for your School
We can run a free 6-session trial for one grade to enable you to evaluate the process. The presentation below reflects some of the outcomes of a trial we ran at Hatfield Christian College in 2017.
Need more information, or just want to get in touch? We’d love to hear from you.
Andrew is the developer and lead coach at This Better Work. You can reach him here:
Cell: +27 79 6977110
or fill in this contact form: