Develop an excellent career guidance process
“The whole experience, for myself and the students, was exceedingly valuable. I found many of the learners who initially had no clue about what they might do after school arrived at a place where they felt: ‘ok, I’ve now got a plan, instead of no plan at this stage’. “
Lizelle, Head Life Orienation teacher
Key Features of the This Better Work process for schools
1. An ongoing process from grade 9-12 that emphasises discovery grounded in real world experiences
2. Students develop a Career Passport to guide them in their next key career decision
3. Students formulate a Plan X – an adaptable, working vision of their desired future
4. Students test and review their Plan X through the course of their school life
5. Students engage with 16 key global challenges that adds a new dimension to the career discernment process
6. Discovery workshop material adapted from successful Windmills STAR resources
7. Designed to help schools develop a high quality career guidance program guided by the eight Gatsby benchmarks of good career guidance
For more information click here to download our overview.
6 workshops to help your students develop their career plan
The Discover workshops can be run in a classroom setting. During these sessions each student creates a Career Passport by recording the results of the various Discover exercises as well as their Career Plan X. This Passport is updated each year as new information is gathered.
Students can then elect to attend a coaching session during which they formulate a plan to explore their Career Plan X. This is done in light of the next significant decision they need to make, for example, Grade 10 subject choices, University applications or other post-school options such as a gap year.
A Free Trial for your School
We can run a free 6-session trial for one grade to enable you to evaluate the process. The presentation below reflects some of the outcomes of a trial we ran in a Pretoria high school in 2017.
Pricing for 2018
- 1 grade: R16500 (R295/student)
- 2 grades: R25900 (R232)
- 3 grades: R33900 (R202)
- 4 grades: R41000 (R183)
- 6 Discover workshops
- Travelling expenses for 1 visit
- Session facilitator
- All printed materials
Venue fee (if applicable)
Need more information, or just want to get in touch? We’d love to hear from you.
Andrew is the developer and lead coach at This Better Work. You can reach him here:
Cell: +27 79 6977110
or fill in this contact form: